Republic of Texas Museum
In 1903, The Republic of Texas Museum was housed in one room of the State Capitol. The collection of Republic era artifacts grew rapidly through the dedicated efforts of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (DRT).
In 1916, the Land Department moved from the Old Land Office Building on the Capitol grounds, and a portion of the structure was turned over to the DRT for use as a museum. The DRT Museum occupied the second floor of the building until 1989 when restoration of the deteriorating structure began. Four years later, during the centennial year of the DRT, the Daughters purchased a building to house the museum and the organization’s headquarters.
The mission of The Republic of Texas Museum is to preserve the heritage of The Republic of Texas historic period and to educate the public about the history and culture of that time.
In order to promote Texas Heritage and history, the Republic of Texas Museum sponsors an Annual Art Contest for school age students across Texas. Entries from out of state should connect to their relative’s district.
For additional contest details, please download the Republic of Texas Annual Art Contest brochure. The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2023!
The Republic of Texas Museum History Symposium Annual Fundraiser will be held February 25, 2023 in the new Republic of Texas History Center. Supporting this fundraiser will contribute to the opening of the Republic of Texas Museum this coming summer.
Seating is limited. Please reserve your seat by clicking the Events tab / Event List / Republic of Texas Museum History Symposium and register for the event!
For more information, please download the symposium flyer.
Questions also may be directed to Margaret at DRT Headquarters at 512-339-1997 extension 6
Museum Assistant: Sharon Hill
Phone: For further information, call 512-339-1997.
The Republic of Texas Museum at 510 East Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78752 closed its doors on Friday, July 27, 2018 at 3:00 pm and will reopen in its new home within the Republic of Texas History Center (RTHC) when completed, at 810 San Marcos Street, Austin TX 78702 on historic Robertson Hill.